Results tagged ‘ Wade Boggs ’
In part 2 of my off-season “strange baseball” series, I give you the most entertaining baseball injuries of all time:
· We’ll begin with my personal favorite: Adam Eaton, when he was with the Padres: Adam accidentally stabbed himself in the stomach with a knife while trying to unwrap a DVD in 2001. And the Phillies later signed this genius to a three-year deal worth $24 million because…???
· Relief pitcher, and former Phillie, Larry Anderson strained a rib muscle getting out of a Jacuzzi. I am guessing because he did not want to sit down his beer first… J
· John Smoltz burned his chest while ironing a shirt that was ON him at the time. Who irons clothes while wearing them? Wow.
· Chris Brown missed over 250 games between 1984 and 1988 due to supposed injuries. He once claimed that he slept on his eye wrong and could not play as a result. He also used the “bruised tooth” excuse once as well. That’s his story and he’s stickin’ to it.
· Wade Boggs injured his back while trying to put on cowboy boots; he apparently lost his balance…and his dignity.
· Aaron Rowand hurt his left shoulder while playing tag with his kids. Really, I could think of more interesting ways to accomplish this…and it does not involve children. J
· Glenallen Hill, plagued by nightmares, once fell out of bed and onto a glass table after dreaming that he was covered in spiders. Serious arachnophobia gone wrong.
· Bret Barberie missed a game after accidentally rubbing chili juice in his eyes. A budding chef, no doubt.
· Kevin Mitchell strained a muscle while vomiting. No more drinking games for him… J
· Phil Niekro injured his hand after shaking his hands too hard. What??
· Jose Cardenal missed a game in 1972 because he tired. He said the crickets chirping in his hotel room kept him awake all night. He also missed a game 2 year later after claiming to have slept funny and, as a result, his eyelid was stuck shut.
· Nolan Ryan was once bitten by a coyote pup that he tried to take home with him after finding two of them wandering the countryside. Lesson? Leave Mother Nature alone.
· Cal Ripken Jr. broke his nose while posing for an All-Star Team photo. He was “accidentally” elbowed in the face by Roberto Hernandez.
· Sammy Sosa went into back spasms after sneezing too hard. Benadryl anyone?
· Brandon Inge strained his oblique while trying to move a pillow for his son. Was the pillow made of bricks?
· Steve Sparks dislocated his shoulder trying to rip a phonebook in half. The Incredible Hulk would have been impressed.
· Ricky Henderson missed several games in August of 1985 because of frostbite. He left an ice pack on his foot a tad too long. Another genius.
· Ricky Bones injured his lower back trying to get out of a chair while watching TV in the clubhouse. A real “bone” head move.
And now for the truly sick and “twisted” – The Bad Balls Club (warning: men should not read if you have a weak stomach) –
· Felix Pie missed time during 2008 spring training with a twisted testicle.
· Chris Snyder was on the 15-day DL in July 2008 with a fractured testicle after getting hit with a foul ball. Foul balls, indeed.
· And last, but not least, Ken Griffey Jr. missed a game after he pinched his right testicle between his leg and his cup.
Feel free to add your own favorite baseball injuries in the comments section below. And please, do not try any of these feats at home.
And for the football fans, I have also started a Miami Dolphins page, The Dolphin Pod! All Dol-Fans, and anyone else who wants to say hello is welcome!
Remember also to check out our homepage My Team Rivals and our Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, Billy Penn Curse, Reinstate Pete Rose, Phillies Mets Rivalry, Phillies Marlins Rivalry, and Phillies Braves Rivalry pages!