Phillies Get Papelbombed for Fourth Time in a Week
Prior to this past week, Jonathan Papelbon had converted all 13 of his save opportunities. But last night against the Padres, he dropped another bomb on the Phillies; it was his 4th blown save in his last 5 attempts. Red alert! The Phillies have been Papelbombed!
Worse than that, starting pitcher Cliff Lee took a 3-0 lead into the 9th inning before the bomb dropped. After putting 2 men on base, Lee was pulled and the air raid ensued. Papelbon gave up a 2-run single, hit the next batter and then managed a double-play ball. But with 2 outs and a runner on third, catcher Carlos Ruiz let the next pitch sail past him, which scored the tying run.
The end result was a mind-blowing, 10-inning 3-4 loss to the Padres. Please excuse me while I vomit…
The Phillies bullpen is the worst in all of baseball with a 4.67 ERA entering last night’s game. Now every starter on this team has to think that if he cannot go all 9 innings, he has no shot at a win. Just take a quick look at the pen’s instability:
- Raul Valdes bombed and was sent to the minors in May
- Veteran Chad Durbin was so bad they released him
- Mike Adams, the $12 million dollar man, has been on the DL twice and may not pitch again this year.
- Jeremy Horst was awful all year and is now on the DL
- Michael Stutes, having missed all of 2012 and part of 2013 due to surgery, is once again on the DL.
- Papelbon has lost his mind/command/sanity??
- The rest of the pen, except Antonio Bastardo, consists of rookies, most of whom have bounced back and forth from the majors to the minors.
It is sad to say, but this team may have just hit rock bottom. Start bracing yourselves…I predict more bombs to be dropping in the very near future. Duck and cover!
“LIKE” us on Facebook for more updates & photos!
Player photos by Jenn Zambri Photography