Playoff Elimination: Check; Howard Injury to End Season: Check.
The end of this Phillies season seems to be a long, painful check list of unfortunate events. And there are still 4 games to go, so the list may not yet be complete. Let us see where we are so far:
– The Phillies have been eliminated from the playoffs.
– Ryan Howard dropped a warm-up bat on his toe and broke it, ending his season. That makes 2 straight seasons that will end with a Howard limping off the field. Maybe the Phillies need to invest in a lot of bubble wrap?
– Rookie pitcher Tyler Cloyd has been shut-down early with a “tired arm.”
– In what seems like an attempt to get the media to talk about anything other than the worst Phillies season in a long time, the Chase Utley 3rd base experiment has been deemed “over.” He will not play 3rd base.
– Speaking of 3rd base, the Phillies have absolutely no idea who will play there in 2013.
– Last night, Roy Halladay pitched fewer than 6 innings for the 6th time this season and gave up more than 3 runs in a game for the 9th time, unofficially announcing to the world that getting old sucks.
– For the 6th time in his career, Jimmy Rollins will end the season with at least 100 runs scored. However, he will also finish having batted well under .250 for 4 out of the 6 months of the season. He also came in 4th in all of baseball in fly ball outs and 2nd in the National League.
I think those were enough depressing thoughts for the day. On a happier note, despite Halladay allowing 4 runs in 5 innings last night, the Phillies did pull out a 9-5 win over the last place Marlins. 5 players had a multi-hit game, including Utley who picked up 3 RBI.
The win puts the Phillies dead-even at 79-79 for the season with 4 games to go. The goal in these last several games should be to finish above the .500 mark. They will go after the Fish one more time today at 1:10pm.
“LIKE” us on Facebook for more updates & photos!
Head shot by Jenn Zambri Photography