New Phillies Fitting in Fast
The newest additions to the Phillies after a few call-ups and trades are fitting in well with this team. In some ways, that is very good. In other ways, not so much.
Here are a few 2012 Phillies bad habits exhibited in last night’s game against the Nationals that they will need to get out of quickly:
– Kevin Fransden, a call-up, commited an error at 3rd base, becoming the 4th different Phillies player to do so at the hot corner this year. The 3rd base error total is now 13.
– Both Fransden and the newly acquired Nate Schierholtz left a runner stranded on 3rd base with less than 2 outs in the inning.
– Josh Lindblom, acquired from the Dodgers, gave up a hit to the 1st batter he faced.
– Domonic Brown, called-up from Triple-A, went 0-4 on the night.
But luckily, the bad habits did not break them. In fact, each new player had at least one very nice moment as well:
– Fransden recovered after his error and played good defense.
– Schierholtz went back-to-back with Jimmy Rollins for his first home run as a Phillie. Rollins had 2 homers in the game.
– Lindblom struck out the 2nd batter he faced.
– Despite going 0-4, Brown had a good day in the field. He threw out a runner going home with a very strong toss.
Another guy who had a great day was Erik Kratz…again. This guy is making a strong case to be the back-up next season. Kratz took that toss from Brown and created a brick wall in front of home plate to save a run. He also threw a runner out who was trying to steal second and caught a very tough foul pop-fly. At the plate, Kratz recorded 1 hit and a walk.
And Vance Worley survived the 1st inning blunders and wound up having a great night. He pitched 7 strong innings without allowing an earned run. Looks like the Vanimal is back!
So the big question now is, can this new-look, last place Phillies team actually SWEEP the 1st place Nationals? After the last 2 games, it looks like they actually have a shot. Game time tonight is 7:05pm.
And in case you missed it, here is the full-page ad Shane Victorino took out in the daily news to thank Phillies fans:
No Shane, thank you!