Phillies Sink Sabathia
Brett Myers was amazing in his post-season appearance; both while pitching and at the plate. He pitched 7 innings and gave up only 2 runs on 2 hits and 3 walks. His first inning was very shaky again, but he escaped with only 1 run scoring. And at the plate, he drew a walk off of CC Sabathia with 2 outs in the second…it was a NINE pitch at bat as Myers kept fouling them off and made Sabathia work. Myers also had a hit in the 5th also with 2 outs, which loaded the bases. Sadly, Jimmy Rollins lined out and ended the inning, but the Phillies we ahead at that point 5-1, thanks to Shane Victorino.
Victorino whacked the very first post-season Grand Slam in Phillies history with 2 outs in the 2nd inning, after Myers drew the walk and Rollins also walked. It was also Shane’s first career Salami and in front of the largest crowd in CBP history – 46,208 fans! People were so happy, they were hugging and high-fiving complete strangers! I know because I was attacked by multiple drunken males who were a tad over-zealous. But who could blame them, really? So at that point, Sabathia was in shock. In fact, as far as the Brewers were concerned tonight, here is a list describing their evening: You know you are having a bad day when…
· The entire crowd of 46,208 fans are screaming your name, and it is not because they are showin’ you the love (CC Sabathia; chants of “CC, CC, CC…”).
· You walk the opposing pitcher and he eventually scores on a Grand Slam. The Slam came after you were ahead of the batter by a count of 1-2.
· That same pitcher is so comfy at the plate, he gets a hit later in the game.
· You walk Shane Victorino intentionally to bring up Chase Utley, and then proceed to unintentionally walk Utley.
· Your first baseman is more concerned with the hot dog wrapper blowing around the field than he is in fielding his position (Prince Fielder chased down a wind-blown wrapper and after multiple attempts, finally stepped on it, picked it up and put it in his pocket! There was a man on first base at the time.)
· You have 98 pitches after only 3 2/3 innings.
· You are sweating profusely while it is a chilly 61 degrees, dark and cloudy outside.
· The Sausage Racers are more productive than your offense.
· On your way back to the dugout, after being pulled from the game, you ask a Phillies fan to borrow a Rally Towel so you can cry into it.
And on that note, here are some fun photos from the game: Top row – Myers fouls off another pitch; Sabathia prays for the 2nd inning to be over. Bottom 3 – The Phanatic beats up a fan for stealing his foul ball; J-Roll gets caught stealing 2nd; Victorino hits a Grand Slam.
And on the 3rd day, they rested… Well, actually, they will be travelling to Milwaukee. Game 3 will be Saturday at 6:30pm on TBS; Jamie Moyer gets the start. Go Phillies!
And for the football fans, I have also started a Miami Dolphins page, The Dolphin Pod! All Dol-Fans, and anyone else who wants to say hello is welcome!
Remember also to check out our homepage My Team Rivals and our Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, Billy Penn Curse, Reinstate Pete Rose, Phillies Mets Rivalry, Phillies Marlins Rivalry, and Phillies Braves Rivalry pages!